We love a great dive, and L.A.’s got the best of them. These are our personal top picks; the places we go to eat when we’re hungry and pressed for time. They are not necessarily in order of importance and none of them are our clients:
1. Apple Pan aka The Pan — (310) 475-3585– 10801 W Pico Blvd, Los Angeles
What to order: Hickory Burger with Cheese, Fries Well, Dr. P and don’t forget to ask for a side of sauce.
Scene: Counter service and take-out only. Crowded as lunch. Closed Mondays.
2. Zankou Chicken — (310) 444-0550– 1716 S Sepulveda Blvd, Los Angeles
What to order: Half chicken plate.
Scene: This is a dangerous area so only go in the day time. This is a great place to grab take-out from if you’ve got a box at the Hollywood Bowl. But make sure you’ve got plenty of mints for after you eat.
3. Nate-n-Als — (310) 274-0101 — 414 N Beverly Dr, Beverly Hills
What to order: Anything. The best Jewish deli on the West Coast.
Scene: Entertainment and media business movers and shakers for breakfast, families, and seniors at lunch and dinner. Be prepared to wait. It also has a take out counter.
4. Niko Niko Sushi — (310) 470-2661 — 10839 National Blvd., West Los Angeles
What to order: Our favorite is the rainbow roll – ask for real crab (adventurous ordering not advised.)
Scene: Modern atmosphere and good service.
5. Sunni Lebanese Café: — (310) 477-2253 — 1779 Westwood Blvd. West Los Angeles
What to order: Chicken kabob with a side of hummus.
Scene: bleak, dingy and cheap, but the best hummus you’ll find this side of Beirut
6. Sorrento Italian Market — (310) 391-7654 — 5518 Sepulveda Blvd, Culver City
What to order: Meatball Sub
Scene: To go only. Amazing selection of Italian imports. Right of the 405 freeway at Jefferson.
7. Poquito Mas– (310) 474-1998– 2215 Westwood Blvd # C, Los Angeles
What to order: San Felipe shrimp burrito.
Scene: LA mini-mall chic – perfect for up and comers.
8. Alejo Presto Trattoria: — (310)822-0095– 4002 Lincoln Blvd, Marina Del Rey
What to order: Shrimp Diablo Pasta
Scene: This place is tiny and gets packed at dinner time so be prepared to wait, go off-hours or get take out.
9. Bay Cities Italian Deli — (310) 395-8279– 1517 Lincoln Blvd, Santa Monica
What to order: Godmother Sub
Scene: Counter service only. Tables outside. Always crowded.
10. Brentwood Country Mart — On 26th St. in Brentwood, just South of San Vincente
What to order: Chicken and rib basket
Scene: Always busy, but not necessarily crowded. Look for the BBQ chicken place (not sure of the name) and get extra seasoning salt on your fries. If you really want enough sauce, tip the guy at the counter. Closed Sunday.
Here's some info about the webinar that you need to sign up for.